June 22, 2010

Benzac AC5 - Acne killerrrr!

When the latest bout of cystic acne refused to go away I decided to go all medieval on its ass and revive an old favourite - Benzac AC5%.

Benzac AC5 is a 5% suspension of benzoyl peroxide in a gel base. Honestly, I really prefer the 2.5% formula as it is as effective but less harsh. However I just haven't been able to find it anymore. It's manufactured by Galderma, the same company that produces Cetaphil and Differin so it's derm recommended.

Usage
Like the Acne method, I use this all over my face every morning - only I certainly don't use as much. If you're in the midsts of an acne outbreak spot treating isn't going to work! You need to tackle the ones that are there and the ones that are about to emerge.

Results
The first week was filled with purging as pimples surfaced and cleared away. You can tell it's purging if after 3 days you find that the emerging pimples are growing increasingly less severe. First the real whoppers turn up, then smaller ones and finally just tiny whiteheads. Now except for one perishing tiny thirf eye my skin is mostly clear. Hurrah!

Problems
This stuff really is quite harsh and of you have anything short of very oily skin you'll hate it. Even on my skin I've had flakiness and dry patches which I've cheerfully ridden out since flaky skin is a cakewalk balanced again reduced acne and oiliness. Not that this completely cures my oiliness problem. I wish! I still have to blot every few hours but it's reduced. Thank heavens.

It will increase skin sunsensitivity, so make sure you use some form of SPF with it and bleaches clothing and hair.

Also, I've heard benzoyl peroxide may age you more rapidly. I'm not sure of this to be honest, probably the consequences of overuse and dry skin makes you look older. So I won't be using this daily in the long term. I may reduce it to alternate days.

Conclusion
I'm so glad I went back to benzac. At only RM8.90 for 15ml, it's an affordable buy! I usually find it in Caring Pharmacy and Vitacare - not Guardian and Watsons.

13 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

my hubby uses this! I can't use this I'm allergic to this :)

Shin said...

if i'm not wrong the BP makes us our skin age faster cause it's sorta an oxidising agent, and it's anti-oxidants that we want. use of it produces free radicals which is also why i suppose that it increases photosensitivity...
:)

liping said...

i believe the BP irritates the skin, causing an excessive immune response to UV rays... thus the photosensitivity...

Benzac 5% isn't very much more effective than Benzac 2.5%, so get the lower strength one if you ever find it :)

Shen said...

i use this and it really works. i use a lower percentage.. :) gets to slow down my pimples a lot. :) :)

Bobo said...

Kahani, I got my benzac from a clinic and it's not so cheap for a small container. wanted to buy outside but dunno where. now i will look up in caring and vitacare pharmacies. thank you very much.

Andy said...

Benzac AC contains a moisturizing system called Acrylates Copolymer Glycerin Complex, that absorbs excess sebum from the skin and releases glycerin to hydrate the skin. It does not leave the skin feeling dry and tight.

Detail see the article here:
http://www.kidbuxblog.com/talk-beauty-healthy/hard-on-acne-soft-on-skin

Anonymous said...

anyone knows where i cud get diz bp 2.5% in terengganu??sobs3 :(

Kahani said...

Hi Anon,

I'm afraid I've never been to Terengganu but try asking any pharmacist if they stock it or if they know where to get it.

Sarvin Sidhu said...

I was a lil reluctant to try this stuff out.. Since it only costs RM 8.90, should probably give it a go

Anonymous said...

I'm using benzac AC 5,the gel and the wash , but then I have being using it for 4 weeks and still no results maybe I should be patient , but then with this acne I find it difficult ,+ I'm starting to lose my confidence and feeling ugly.

Kahani said...

Hi Anon,

Hang in there, it does take time. You might want to try an gentle exfoliating face wash to use in tandem with Benzac. Key here is gentle as your skin's probably annoyed with you. If over the counter treatment isn't helping though you may want to consider seeing a dermatologist.

Anonymous said...

If that doesnt work try quinoderm thats what im using since panoxyl was discontinued. Or if your acnes really bad go to your doctors and get antibiotics thats what i did for a while they really do work

Kidbux said...

Benzac AC contains benzoyl peroxide which kills the bacteria on the skin that cause acne & unplugs blocked pores(blackheads and whiteheads). See review at:
http://kidbuxblog.com/hard-on-acne-soft-on-skin/