June 22, 2011

Coping with the Mid-year Heat.

When I was a kid, I once attended a dinner where a foreign guest asked if Malaysia had four seasons like Europe. Everyone at the table were shaking their heads and about to say, “No” when one of the local Obs-gyn doctors beat them to the punch.

“Yes, we do. We have hot and hotter, and wet and wetter.”

I hate the Hotter part of the year. For the most part, I am a sunshine loving girl. If I were a cat, I would be one of those who do nothing but bask in sunshine all day. I dislike cold, air-conditioned rooms and start shivering whenever the temperature drops below 24C. But for three months out of twelve, I find myself reaching for the air-conditioner remote.

Another reason why I hate the heat is because I start getting acne all over my body. My face, my back, along my hairline... My colleagues and I were bemoaning the fact that none of us will ever be able to wear backless dresses again. My back looks like something the plague hit and I keep discovering monstrous zits on my face.

Here’s a list of things I am doing/using to survive through the next few months.


1. Keep makeup to a minimum.
I would go completely barefaced but can’t during the weekday because of meetings etc. I have gone to work without any slap on and looked so drab and tired (hot weather is not very kind to me), colleagues told me to at least swipe on some lippie. I now just use some concealer, powder, blush, mascara and lipstick.

2. Switched some products.
My skin started getting oiler last month so I decided to follow Lisa Eldridge’s recommendation and try Vichy Normaderm ProMat. Whaddaya know, the stuff works and doesn’t make my skin bonkers. Comes with SPF as well. Proper review coming up next week.

After the last eruption of zits left scars everywhere, I finally threw my hands up in surrender and marched over to Clinique to pick up some Turnaround Concentrate and Moisturesurge Moisturiser. I have tried the latter before and liked it so it was like rediscovering an old love. The Turnaround Concentrate purchase was influenced by a rave review by domncroxd of BelleDemoiselle and so far, no regrets. It’s been a week but I can see some improvement. Will be back with a proper review in a month or two.

3. Drink lots of water, go semi-vegetarian and take Chinese herbs.
Those of you reading this must think that I am bonkers.

Drinking water when it’s hot out is plain commonsense. The vegetarian thing is because I lose all desire for meat when the weather is hot. The only thing I can look at is vegetables, tofu, tempeh, soups... Basically old people’s food. I am depending on dairy products for protein to see me through the next few months.

It’s a little hard to explain the Chinese herbs bit, but my family has been taking traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) for years. Tastes terrible and it makes you run to the loo but the stuff works. It cleared up my acne when I was 14 and I am taking them again now that I have this awful outbreak. It’s clearing up nicely so I am hoping the Turnaround Concentrate will speed things up.

4. Pulled my hair off my face.
As much as I like my short crop, maintenance is hard to keep when you are in a place without a hairdryer or don’t have time for a proper trim. I have started clipping back my fringe and am waiting for my hair to grow out so I can tie it up. Why is it so hard to travel rough and look pretty?

5. Use a hat, sunnies and sunblock.
I finally found a great hat with a wide rim, is travel-friendly and looks pretty from Gaya Street for RM25. Score. Think I need a new pair of sunnies though as the plastic on mine is peeling.

Other coping mechanisms include lots of showers, fresh fuit juices, yogurt, swimming and wearing sarongs to sleep. I do the last because I am bumi and I can!

What are you girls doing to cope with the heat?

3 comments:

vee said...

1. look out the window every morning: every day's a hot day now but it helps to see glaring sun at 7am and plan my day accordingly with regard to makeup, clothes and spf.

2. skip morning moisturizer: using hada labo lotion again (pap pap pap pap)

3. eyeshadow liner: with the hada labo lotion, makeup time gets cut down, no time to fiddle with liquid liner. and powder liner just... soaks things up.

4. wash my hands throughout the day: and then get a paper napkin, lie it flat on my face, and dry my hands and blot my face that way. cooling and doesnt melt the makeup. hands getting quite scaly though...

5. exercise and eat spicy: i dont know, there's just something purifying about getting all that sweat out. but only in the evening so i dont overheat...

and also no 1 & 4 on yr list. and please post a picture of yr hat together with your vichy review. i need a hat! that doesnt give me hat hair!

vee said...

1. look out the window every morning: every day's a hot day now but it helps to see glaring sun at 7am and plan my day accordingly with regard to makeup, clothes and spf.

2. skip morning moisturizer: using hada labo lotion again (pap pap pap pap)

3. eyeshadow liner: with the hada labo lotion, makeup time gets cut down, no time to fiddle with liquid liner. and powder liner just... soaks things up.

4. wash my hands throughout the day: and then get a paper napkin, lie it flat on my face, and dry my hands and blot my face that way. cooling and doesnt melt the makeup. hands getting quite scaly though...

5. exercise and eat spicy: i dont know, there's just something purifying about getting all that sweat out. but only in the evening so i dont overheat...

and also no 1 & 4 on yr list. and please post a picture of yr hat together with your vichy review. i need a hat! that doesnt give me hat hair!

Kahani said...

I second the hat! I'm considering a light glamourously floppy one from H&M. =D