With my finicky skin, testing skincare, primer or foundation is... well... it's an act of either courage or desperation which is why unless I'm on the hunt for a solution I've stopped accepting skincare for reviews.
When I do have to test something though, here's what I do.
- I wait till my skin is either completely or mostly clear OR it's been breaking out for awhile and I can't stop it (this is desperation). The problem is if my skin IS clear I hate to disrupt it at all and sometimes will hold off trying a new product for ages because of this.
- When I finally get the guts to try it out, motivated by curiosity or some form of mild insanity, I apply a light layer for a night event. Why night? Because it's cooler and shorter and thus less likely to greatly piss off my skin.
- I wait a week and watch my skin anxiously for breakouts. Because these things can take a few days to surface, it's best to wait a week.
- If I DO breakout, I clear up again and repeat step 1 to be sure it's the product.
- If nothing bad happens I test it for a day. Then stop again for a week.
- If nothing happens again I move on to alternate use. The idea here is that if I DO breakout, it won't be as bad or last as long.
- By this time I'm pretty sure if my skin likes the product or hates it and I either dump it or use it daily.
The entire process takes a month and is fraught with fear.
I'm hostage to my own skin. Damn.
How do you test out new products? Hope you're having an easier time of it than I am!