February 10, 2009

Review: Daiso Hyaluronic Acid, and Grapefruit flavoured balms.

This is a review for two balms I bought at Daiso. The Hyaluronic Acid Lip Care balm was reommended to me by Connie, and the other one I spotted and bounced up to fellow-grapefruit-fan, Beetrice and popped it into her basket. Although she's currently blaming me for her addiction, I'm sure she's secretly grateful. ; )

Now the Hyaluronic Acid balm was a source of some amusement and interest to both Beetrice and connie when I discovered, inadvertedly, that it was a VERY plumping balm when used overnight! Pictorial proof after the jump!

The Before shot, the night before, with nothing on my lips:


Notice the lines? I have a lot of lip crammed into very little area. So although I naturally have full lips, I occassionally use plumping products because they help my lips fill out and decrease the appearance of lines. Likeee....

THIS (The after shot): The morning after I spent the night using the Hyaluronic Acid balm on my lips: My lips are so much fuller the lines are barely visible, and even the crop I made of the shot is squarer! There was no stinging, no tingle, no NOTHING to warn me that this was gonna happen. Imagine my shock when I bearily peared into the mirror and discovered my lips had decided to take matters into their own hands and turn Angelina Jolie on me!

Besides this interesting side effect, the balm itself is very slick and feels moisturising. It applies smoothly, and has no taste, scent, flavour or smell. There is some gloss, but it disappeares swiftly. I tend to only use this in the mornings over a lip-tint, because I have a sneaky and unproven suspicion that it causes my lip stick to roll off my lips faster.

Grapefruit "Lipstick"
Now this really was a find. I fully agree with Beetrice when she says that it smells exactly like fresh, juicy grapefruit. It is just sweet enough not to smell bitter but remains refreshingly tart.

Just like Bee, I find myself applying and reapplying this just because I love the scent so much. I'm now dying to try all the other flavours this comes in, I think I saw Peach, Strawberry, and Lemon. Mmmm!

In terms of balm performance, it's not so much moisturising as occlusive. It forms a waxy barrier that seals moisture in and protects lips. I love this as a day balm because it doesn't interfere with my lipsticks or gloss at all.

How much? Where?
If you're not familiar with Daiso, in Malaysia you'll find it in The Curve, top floor, next to Nichii. Everything in it is RM5, which for my slightly lip-balm crazed self, is definitely a good thing. Now... to get back there and try every single flavour! *twitches*

8 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

yes yes yes! I can see big improvement on your lips!!! :)

plue said...

i shall go to Daiso this weekend and buy!

i have not been going shopping for ages! :D

thanks for the lovely review!

i am a grapefruit-holic too!

Kahani said...

Nikki: Oh I'm glad! I thought the photo didn't do the alarming-ly fullness of it justice. Seriously, I flipped out the next morning and sms'd Connie asking, "it this SUPPOSED to happen??"

Plue: Always welcome, dear! I wants more fruity lipbalm toooo!

Connie De Alwis said...

lol! I thought you had some sort of allergic reaction! Such a cool effect eh? I didn't even know it could plump. haha

Kahani said...

Connie: have you tried it overnight yet? For all we know I COULD be allergic. But with no stinging, itching or anything, it's certainly not bothering me! =P

Connie De Alwis said...

I doubt that's allergy then if it's not irritating your lips. lol. I need to remember using lip balm at night. dang... I'm sorta allergic to the peach one though :( I got bumps on my lips. *sighs* Although the smell is excellent

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you've been using it nightly and the plumping effect continued or it was just a one time thing??

Unknown said...

Can it lighten dark lips?