September 16, 2009

Review: Australis Primer

This particular product was a bit of a cult hit when it first launched in Australia last year. Aussie beauty forums are still arguing about how good it actually is but whenever Australis happens to be on sale in Priceline and Target, the first product to disappear from the shelves is this primer. It takes aaaaaages for new stock to arrive.

It took me quite a while before I could lay my hands on this elusive product. Now that I have, I don’t have any problems finding it in stores. Just another one of those perverse mysteries of life, eh?

The main reasons for this primer’s hit status are it is cheap and it delivers. They just hiked up the price a few months ago but it is still pretty affordable at AUD 13.95 for 40 ml. Priceline has 20% discount sales on Australis products pretty often anyway, so it is just a matter of watching and waiting.

‘cone haters like Kahani would be pleased to know this primer doesn’t have any silicone. A quick glance at the ingredients list gives me a wave of déjà vu though as it seems pretty similar to many BB cream ingredients lists I have read before: orange water, green tea extract, aloe extract and retinyl palmitrate.

The primer is a little watery and feels cool and tingly going on. It sinks quite quickly into the skin for me so I don’t have to waste much time waiting before putting on my foundation. It is also safe to use around your eye area (I emailed the company to check) and I have never experienced any stinging or itching although the cool sensation feels a bit odd.

I use this quite frequently under my BB cream and mineral foundation and prefer it over Monistat. Monistat makes me feel as if I am wearing a heavy mask while this is nice and light. It isn’t as mattifying as I would like it to be but it keeps the oilies down to certain extent and keeps my foundation from wearing off or turning splotchy. This was during winter though and I am wondering how it will deliver now that the weather is warming up rapidly.

Verdict? Cheapie but a goody. There are probably better primers out there but if you are on a budget, this is worth a go.

3 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

reading your post, I've come to realize I haven't been using much primers and I'm always using BB cream prior to foundation! :D

LyNn said...

same case as nikki.
i either use bb cream alone as my foundie
or bb cream as a base.
lazy ass = me :P

Eli said...

Nikki and Lynn: Really? I find BB creams a tad too heavy for me to use as a primer. I always use it with a dusting of powder on top to even out the tone.