August 04, 2010

Another Reason to Hit the Gym!

"How often do you exercise?" my doctor asked, peering over the rim of his glasses.

"Err.. about once a week? But I go trekking a lot because of my work."

"Hmm.. not enough. Your percentage of body fat is surprisingly high and your metabolism is really slow."

You could have knocked me down with a feather. I wasn't surprised by my low metabolism rate (I am quite sloth-like half of the time) but I was surprised by the body fat percentage reading. I know I carry most of my weight around my hips but...

Blast my father's genes.

"If you aren't careful," Pa told me solemnly later, "you are going to look like your aunts after you give birth."

With images of my aunts floating in front of my eyes, I have been going to the gym every 2 days or so just to hit the treadmill or walker and work up a sweat. While I haven't lost any weight, I have noticed a surprising side effect after 2 weeks:

Most of my pimples have disappeared.

For the past 2 months, my skin has been crazy congested and threatening to break out into cystic acne. I didn't even dare to use makeup for a while and have been changing my moisturisers, cleansers etc in the hope of finding a cure.

As it turns out, sweating everything out was the cure. It was just that simple.

I now have another reason to hit the gym!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's true! it was the same for when i was training everyday for the 10km race...my skin was flawless and glowing! now my skin is still pimpleless, but not glowing. i dont have that overall healthy fresh look which i had that time and i miss it!~

Petra said...

A friend plays futsal for the same reason: her doctor told her to do something that makes her sweat for her pimples.

One theory is sweating flushes out toxins :)

Connie De Alwis said...

this post was a wakeup call >.<
I just had images of my aunts floating in my head and oh NO..........!!!!!!
:(