September 29, 2010

Daily Dose of Vitamin C: Cellnique Contour C Complex

I love Vitamin C for my skin. Pimples heal faster, scars lighten up and my skin looks clearer.

When Cellnique contacted us earlier in the year to trial their products, I asked for their Cellnique Contour C Complex which claims to contain 24% of vitamin C. That's a big punch of vitamin C considering how most vitamin C serums apparently contain about 5% to 10% of vitamin C.

This is one of the longest trials I have run for a skincare product but after 4 months of playing around and usage, I think I can finally sit down and write a through review of this product.

I like this stuff. While it isn't HG material, Cellnique Contour C Complex is pretty good if you like vitamin C and and have fairly tough skin.

Before I figured out how to incorporate this serum into my routine though, it was a bit of a nightmare. My skin swung between the extremes of dry or oily. Heck, some days it was dry and oily! I couldn't figure out if it was the weather, my frequent travelling or a product which triggered my skin tantrums hence the really long 4 month trial period. Kahani and Syen probably would have chucked it out of the window.

Now that I have gotten the hang of it, my breakouts heal faster and I wake up in the morning with a lovely glow to my skin. I also think that my scars have lightened up a bit -- but that might be a figment of my imagination or wistful longing.

The product is dispensed with a dropper which I like because it allows me better control with more much product I am using. On the other hand, a part of me wishes that Cellnique would repackage this in a pump bottle instead as the constant opening allows air to enter the bottle, allowing the vitamin C to oxidise.

One thing I do like about the serum is that it can be used around the undereye area. Vitamin C is purportedly helpful for getting rid of panda eyes but I haven't seen any difference in my eye bags or undereye lines just yet.

Cellnique C Complex sinks in quite quickly after application, allowing you seal it in soon after with moisturiser. This serum is not a moisturiser and as far as I can tell, has no moisturising properties at all. I highly recommend using a moisturiser with the serum.

Approach this serum with caution. Although I have been using products with vitamin C before this, my skin wasn't quite prepared for the sudden jump in vitamin C and ended up drying out quite a bit. People with sensitive skin, take note.

I recommend using it sparingly on problem areas once a day for the first week and if your skin seems fine, you can go ahead and apply it on your whole face. Then, wait another 2 or 3 weeks before increasing application to twice a day if you wish. Personally, I only use this serum once a day as any more than that dries out my skin and makes it oil up.

Don't forget to use your sunscreen if you are a Vitamin C morning user. Some people argue that vitamin C serums work better in the daytime but I prefer using the Cellnique C Complex at night as it gives me one less product to layer when I am rushing in the morning. There's that lovely morning glow too.

Would I buy this? Hmm, that is something I have to think about as while this is a great vitamin C serum, I think there are other better products out there. If you have used TBS Vitamin C Skin Boost, like it and are looking for something stronger or has less demethicone, this is worth a try.

Cellnique C Complex is expensive at RM199 for 15 ml but a little goes a long way. I only need 3-4 drops for my entire face (including the undereye area) and used once a day, a bottle should be able to last for up to over 5 months.

No comments: