Before going to sleep
This is where self-control really kicks in because if you can do ALL this before going to bed you'll look and feel much much better the next day.
- Drink as much water as you can hold - hangovers are the result of toxins and dehydration so DRIIINK!
- Have a shower - it gives you a few precious minutes extra the next morning and also helps sober you up.
- Don't go to bed drunk - seriously. Eat eggs (new one I've heard recently), shower, drink water, staying up that extra hour sobering up helps you more the next morning that going straight to bed.
- Take off ALL your makeup - hurrah for cleansing oils!
The next morning
- If you didn't the night before, take a shower. For the love of God.
- Drink lots of water and pop some Panadol if you have a headache.
- I like to sip a large cup of coffee with some sort of eye mask on. If I don't have one handy, depuffing eyegel with cotton pads soaked in cold water over the eyes also work great.
- Slap on an exfoliating mask if you have oily skin or a "refreshing hydrating" mask if you have dry skin while you're sipping that coffee too. (Edit: Be careful not to terrify aging parents)
Hopefully your skin is less ashy and your eye bags have shrunk by now. Due to shaky hands and a pounding head I tend to like to keep this part relatively simple.
- Add some illuminating cream, powder or gel to your foundation and layer it on lightly with extra coverage on spots if needed.
- While tempting, don't lay on undereyeconcealer with a trowel. Apply as normal, and dust a matte white shadow VERY LIGHTLY over (I like Bobbi Brown's Navajo)with a fluffy blender brush. You’ll be surprised how well this works if you don’t overdo it and get the reverse racoon.
- Keep eyes fresh and simple. I prefer to use lighter, almost nude shades with shimmer under the brow bone but not really on the lid (in case its puffy and this magnifies things). I also use a little eyeliner, darkening it in the corners, curl my lashes and really lash on the mascara.
- Nothing makes you look quite as fresh as pink blush and lips. If you’re cooler choose a blue-pink if you’re warmer toned use a peachier shade. It’s good if they’re slightly shimmery. Dust on the blush maybe just a bit brighter than you normally would and pop on the matching lippy. I personally love Posietint for both eyes and lips – it’s my secret weapon.
- Smile, and try not to hang your head and groan – unless you want the office to know you’ve had a marvelous night out. ;)
Here's Lisa Eldridge's tips. She's got some amazing ideas that I'm gonna try out!