May 18, 2012
No. Not really.
As a beauty addict, you will go through phases where it's all buy, buuy, BUUUUY! Traumatising experience for the wallet, really.
C'mon, admit it. I've gone through it, and I still go through it every now and again. (Especially when I'm super stressed out. It's called retail therapy for a reason.)
But of late, I've been working on a few strategies on trying to curb my impulse-buying habits to help me save a little bit of dough. I won't lie. Sometimes it works, and sometimes, ah well... hang 'em strategies.
I've found that it's not going cold-turkey (I sound like I've got a serious addiction, haven't I?), but managing and spreading out the shopping that works best. For me, anyway. I'm a work-in-progress, but if you're still interested, read on.
1. Come back later - Oh lemmings.. how you do me in. Whenever a new collection's out, there are lemmings left, right and centre. But I've found that by checking them out, and then walking away, does wonders in saving you cash. Walking away lets you think which ones you're still thinking about later on. And if you're still thinking about it all through and after lunch, okay, maybe you should be getting it. But sometimes, I find myself not wanting them as much anymore.
2. Rationalise - I don't know about you, but I usually have conversations with myself at the makeup counter. I like this. You don't need it. But I waaaaant it. But you DON'T NEED IT. FINE. *sulks*
I've been wanting MORE blushes. But do I really need another one? Not really. And so I try to psycho myself out of getting another gorgeous looking blush. *Sigh* I find thinking about how many duplicates I already have at home helps. Sorta.
3. Save the lemming for when you REALLY need that retail therapy - That palette you really REALLY want? Kill two birds with one stone by saving it for when you're having a emo-meltdown and totally need retail therapy. So you get to shop and get the stuff you've been wanting for a while. Am I making sense?
4. Shop in your own stash - I've actually accumulated enough makeup stuff to last me three lifetimes, and sometimes finding something I've forgotten about actually feels like I just got a new toy. It can be quite fun. Really.
5. Treat yourself - And since you've been such a good girl... every once in a while (like three months or so), allow yourself a little treat.
What about you? How do you save your wallet from burning? *grin*