June 10, 2009

Classic glamour look: Dragonfly

Why "Dragonfly"? I've mentioned in the past that I am badly swayed by the names of products, so lines like Silk Naturals, Benefit and Philosphy all hit my weak spot dead-on. Words that trigger me off include raspberry, pink grapefruit, lavender... and dragonfly. This look was inspired by the Stila Duo Eyeshadow in Dragonfly (sitting in a compact by Beautilicious), and Maybelline Watershine Lipstick in Dragonfly Red. (Everybody say, "Ahhh....!")

I was secretly in love with both products just from seeing the colours (red! purple! taupe! perfect!) on ParisB and Beetrice's sites. I snapped up the duo for RM20 during the clearance sales, and the lipstick recently for RM17.80 - usually it's RM23.90. While the lippy is readily available everywhere, sadly the duo is gone, along with the brand, from Malaysia. But any pale shimmery lavender and medium-dark, brown-taupe will do.

Surprisingly both lavender and taupe go together really well. I used the taupe in my crease, and smudged it just above the crease on the outer corners. I then blended the lavender shadow over as a highlight, concentrating on the inner corners and just under the brow-bone.

Pardon the rather "bleh" shot. I was having a bad photo-day, I took 15 shots, all were worse than this. And then I ran out of time. *sighs* So I wasn't actually sad or pissed off (whichever the photo most resembles) but I was tired as the week was a tough one. On the plus-side, this whimsically themed look perked me up for the day! Its' fun being a girl

Anyways, the red can be layered on to be pretty intense, or applied sheerly - as ParisB prefers it. I love its versitility. To me it's a true-red with slightly-warm undertones. It's very flattering and never turns orange or fuschia. I find it's one of the lippies that suit me even when I'm not wearing foundation or blush. It just perks me right up. LOVE it, this baby has earned itself a permanent place in my makeup bag.

And ah yes I used Benetint on my cheeks. =)

9 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

awww you are right, the lipstick would still look great worn alone without any eye makeup! the overall look is fab girl!

Shuu said...

I think Benetint complements the lipstick well :D
You look gorgeous anyway! ^^

Kahani said...

Nikki: Thanks dear! Now to find a blush called "Dragonfly soemthingoranother" =P

Shuu: Thanks sweetie!

Jenn said...

You look great Kahani!! I agree with Shuu - the Benetint complements your lipstick nicely!! I love the eye combo too!!

I have a sample of this lippie too!! It's a great red shade!! :D

gio said...

You look gorgeous! I love the eye combo, very pretty!

plue said...

i like the lips! so full and yummy!!!!

Kahani said...

Jenn: Aww thanks babe, but really it was a bad photo day. You know those days?

Gio: Who knew lavender and brown would go so well huh?

Plue: Mwah!

Connie De Alwis said...

you and your dragonfly! a very lovely look :)
Lol! you got the whole deer-in-headlights pose going on but then the lips are like.... mmmm... *muaks* hahahaha

Kahani said...

Connie: Yes I do don't I! Argh.. awful awful day. But lol yay for the angle it gave me voluptuous lips!