January 24, 2009

Review: Illuminare Ultimate All-day Foundation/ Concealer


Okay ladies, I know ya'll have seen this post before. Or at least, a very similar one written by Kahani a while ago. But the difference is that I'm reviewing this ONLY as a concealer. As promised. 

Honestly, I don't really like slapping too much products on my face all at one go. I hate the many layers of stuff. So on days when my face decides it wants to be good, I just dust a little of my ZA 2-way foundation on my forehead, nose and chin, and a little MAC Blot powder on my cheeks. And I'm done.

On days when it does NOT want to be good, I have no choice but to add some concealer on those dratted red spots, scars, and blasted little pimples which threaten to grow into Krakatoas.

And this is where the Illuminare Ultimate All-day Concealer works wonders.

It is THICK. Make no mistake about it. Just a teeeny-weeeny bit is more than enough for my entire chin, the odd pimple on my cheek and forehead. Application is made all the simpler with the Fast Application Pad, and blending the concealer is a breeze.

(You can see how little I actually need on my Fast Application Pad.)

On the rare occasion, I do use my fingers to apply. Not a good idea. This stuff is so thick I end up staining my fingers with it. And believe it or not, this concealer does. not. budge. I can scrub my fingers after with soap and water, but it still refuses to go away. Really.

So take my advice and use either the pad or a brush to apply the concealer. And you'll need a makeup remover to get it off your face after.

For my MAC NC25 skin, I'm using Florentine Fair, which is the third darkest shade available and it blends well enough to look natural. It usually manages to look alright for a few hours, but a blot and touch-up is usually in order around lunchtime.

It's oil-free and  has SPF21, but since the application is only on the odd spot, I wouldn't count on it to keep my face safe from the sun.

A 15ml tube costs US$27, but as you only need so little, it should take a while before you go through an entire tube.

There's really not much more for me to say, so I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking.

(Bare faced. Yes, behold the angry red chin. Eek.)

(Only concealer has been applied. See how much better it looks already? Don't mind the hair frizz, it was not entirely dry yet.)

(With concealer, ZA 2-way foundation and MAC Blot Powder applied as mentioned earlier.)

(And I'm done! With a bit o' blusher - Cargo The Big Easy, me thinks - and Testimo lipstick in a shimmery pink shade. I was only heading out to the mall for a while, so makeup was kept minimal. And oh, Frederic Fekkai's Olive Glossing Cream took care of the frizz.)

So what do you think of concealers? Necessity? Extras? Holler back, girls!

Note: The product reviewed is a courtesy of Illuminare Cosmetics.

3 comments:

AskMeWhats said...

WOW!!!! It works wonders! and you're right, just looking at photos says it all!

Anonymous said...

Concealers are a TOTAL necessity! Probably the only form of makeup I use on a daily basis.... & which I actually finish!

Syen said...

Nikki: Hehe... If a picture is worth a thousand words, that was equivalent to about a 4,000-odd word article. LOL. You get my point.

YZ: Hey you. Long time no see. Since I started using concealers, they've been surely creeping into my daily routine. Darn it, so many flaws to hide. =P