March 16, 2010

My Bobbi Brown Custom Palette

You know I have a weakness for palettes and am eternally chasing "that perfect one". The perfect palette is one that can take me from day to night and will be all I need for a weekend getaway (maybe even longer!). It doesn't have to contain lip products, but blush and eyeshadows are a must. So when Bobbi Brown announced her custom palettes way way back, you can bet I went weak at the knees.

Once I learnt the prices for the palette (RM40) and for each individual eyeshadow (RM75) and blush (RM85) that weakness got even worse. Argh!

But I didn't go crazy and buy it all at once. Nope.... I got the palette at a discount, and all the shades in it are gifts slowly accumulated!

Syen started me out with the Lavender metallic eyeshadow and for my recent birthday she bought me the shimmer shadow in Champagne (which by the way is a PERFECT highlight shade).

The brown eyeshadow in Mahogany and the blush in Nectar are from gift vouchers for last Christmas and this birthday from a guy friend (I kid you not). Bless him. =D

Mahogany is really pretty but I honestly expected it to have more depth. It never seems to get quite dark enough for that perfect eyeliner / outer corner shade, but its great as a casual lid colour. I would add one more dark brown or black eyeshadow to my beauty bag for night and liner use.

Nectar, as you can see on Syen's post, is lovely. Loverly even . I find it to be a warmer, more pigmented version of Cargo's Blu Ray blush and so actually works well with both cool, warm and even glammed out looks like smokey eyes or red lips. I still find myself missing a bright cheerful pink blush that makes you look fresh and awake though. The look from this palette is really fresh and natural though.

So now readers I put the question to you. Pretty as the lavender shade of shadow is it's not quite in keeping with the palette's versatility. Should I therefore get myself a darker brown / black eyeshadow like Espresso or Smoke or a pink blush like Peony, Soft Pink or Pink Sugar?

Which should it be? And what shade do you vote for?

9 comments:

Paris B said...

I'd do a darker eye colour. I always find that a little lacking in some premade palettes and I need my dark eyeshadow for definition (although eyeliner does the trick most times)

Anonymous said...

I say an eyeliner colour too. that way you have one less thing to remember to bring along and it's all nicely grouped together into your palette. whereas you can't wear both blushes at the same time.

Syen said...

I'd pick a blush over an eyeshadow any day, but for practicality's sake, I think a dark brown shade might actually make the palette work better.

Although, if you're bound to bring along an eyeliner, then perhaps a blush might be just as fine. AND, I think peony is gorgeous. Not that I haven't already told you. *tee hee*

Renee | Beauty Fool said...

Ooh, I too am on the way to creating my own BB custom palette. I'd have to echo everyone's idea of an eyeliner color too, I think BB has one called Mahogany which is next on my list! :)

Eli said...

I am with the rest. Would pick a blush meself but I think a dark eyeshadow would pull your palette together.

Kahani said...

Sorry to have been silent ladies. Been a little out of it due to food poisoning. But I'm BACK!

Renee: I already have mahogany! It's just not dark enough for me. =( What shades do you have?

See my dilemma? The love of peony vs the need for a darker shadow. Anon's point is excellent - you can't wear two blushes at once and the dark shadow would increase the palette's versatility. Espresso is the safest choice but it's SO BORING. Wish she had something like theBalm's Shady lady Caught in the Act Courtney. It's so gorgeous..

Kahani said...

Sorry to have been silent ladies. Been a little out of it due to food poisoning. But I'm BACK!

Renee: I already have mahogany! It's just not dark enough for me. =( What shades do you have?

See my dilemma? The love of peony vs the need for a darker shadow. Anon's point is excellent - you can't wear two blushes at once and the dark shadow would increase the palette's versatility. Espresso is the safest choice but it's SO BORING. Wish she had something like theBalm's Shady lady Caught in the Act Courtney. It's so gorgeous..

Paris B said...

Actually you CAN wear 2 blushes at one - e.g. a peach base and a pink for pop of colour. If you carry an eyeliner anyway, a blush mich add versatility ;) I'm not helping am I? :P Glad to know you're better from food poisoning - it is one of the most horrible things to have to undergo!

Kahani said...

paris: Thanks dear, it was pretty awful. And as usual it was inflicted by my mom! Ish.

And no you are NOT helping. Maybe I need a 6pan palette...